Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Word of the Day Wednesday

Hi guys!
I have been listening to CBC lately and it seems the new political buzzword is "unredacted".
I don't know about you, but it sounds like a pretty awesome word to me.
Say it out loud, "unredacted" (you know you want to.)
Isn't it awesome!?!
Anyway, I decided to look up the definition of the word.
Here is Wiktionary's definition:

Adjective

unredacted (not comparable)
Positive
unredacted

Comparative
not comparable

Superlative
none (absolute)
  1. Not redacted.
Wow, thanks Wiktionary,  that sure helps.
So now I know that unredacted means not redacted.
I continue my search for the definition on Urban Dictionary.
Here is Urban Dictionary's definition: 
unredacted  

verb: redact is more specific than edit, scarcely overlaps with censor, and is genuinely useful: mid-19th century -- essentially, a fancy or technical *synonym* of "edit" -- to this a more specific sense.
examples are of UNREDACTED being used as a reference to blacked-out bits of text that are "classified" or "sensitive" -- effectively, as a replacement for the unpleasant participle CENSORED.

Okay, thanks Urban Dictionary, that's much better.
So I guess it means uncensored.
Hmph.
I was expecting something more dramatic, like "not life-threatening" or "unalterablenesses" (Yes, that's a word!)
Therefore I hereby decree that because of the unalterablenesses of the word "unredacted" I shall lose my train of thought and forget my point.
If I even had a point....
If I had more points this blog would be much more interesting, wouldn't it?
Anyway, I thought that you guys should all here about the word "unredacted".
May the forces of evil get lost on the way to you front doorstep,
Josh.

(PS, what do you guys think of Word of the Day Wednesdays?)

(PSS, I used the word definition 4 times! Yay me!)






                               



5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Haha, I love it! I think Word of the Day Wednesdays are a great idea and I shall try and use the word "unredacted" as much as possible.

arlene said...

I love Word of the Day Wednesday too! And ----for the--------and ----for sure. I'd absolutely love------ ----, to-------and --------. You can see it at ------- -----------!
(sorry...it's fun to redact)
signed,
- - -

Robin said...

Hahaha that's awesome. Word of the Day Wednesdays sound like a good idea :)

JackandStephenrule said...

I love Word of the Day Wednesdays!

Unredacted is a very good word, although SpellCheck is telling me that it is not one.

Captain Background said...

Word of the Day anythings are good in my mind, just cause there's so many fun ones out there.
Unredacted is an awesome word, which, unfortunately my computer refuses to acknowledge. Damn those computers.