Monday, August 23, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Hey guys!
I am part of a youth theatre group, Celsius Youth Theatre, and right now I'm working on a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. 
I'm going to be working on a couple things for this production, including designing the set, designing costumes, acting (I'm playing Bottom) and building the set and costumes. It's actually quite fun.
I get to work with my friend Kelsey (who I'm designing sets/costumes with) and my friend Daniel, who is directing the play. 
Designing a play is a really interesting process. It takes a lot of thinking to get to the point where you can say that everything is figured out. In  the world of a play you need to suspend your audiences belief enough that they can buy into the wonderful world that they see onstage. With A Midsummer Night's Dream, you can really push the envelope in the forest, where most of the action takes place, to create a dreamy, unrealistic space. It is, after all, the realm of the fairies, so you can make things stylized and angular and vivid.
Right now we've almost got our set design finalized (yay!).  Now we need to finish all the costume design.
I'll post pictures of the set and costumes (and costume and set drawings) after the plays run is over in November.

Vive le Shakespeare!
~josh
  
(Okay, technically I can't say "Vive le Shakespeare" because he's already dead, but what ever.)

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Josh...I've tagged you on my blog - check it out!